inspired edible++spicy garlic portobello mushrooms & broccoli with penne
our next food swap just snuck up on me! we met on oscar sunday and our swap was preceded by the very first meeting of The Proper Collective.
i am seriously excited about The Proper Collective.
founded by the lovely and amazing eva goicochea & zell dragonette, the collective is a group of independent creatives, committed to working together to create consistently incredible work, while utilizing each member’s unique abilities to collaborate on stunning creations.
live in l.a. and interested in joining us?
submit your work for consideration here.
now to the food!
the dish i brought to swap is a variation of my favorite comfort food growing up. i recognize that kids comfort food doesn’t usually feature garlic and broccoli, but i was an unusual child.
spicy garlic portobello mushrooms & broccoli with penne
1 lb penne
2 large portobella mushrooms, brushed of dirt and sliced.
3 tender stalks of organic broccoli or bunch of chinese broccoli, washed and cut into bite sized pieces.
5-10 cloves garlic (i frequently use a whole head of garlic. much to the dismay of our neighbors when we meet in the elevator.)
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 onion, chopped
3 T shoyu (to taste)
3 T coconut oil
salt & pepper
parmesan, to garnish.
1. set a large pot of water to boil.
2. heat a heavy bottomed cast iron pan to medium-hot. Add oil.
3. add crushed red pepper, mushrooms and onion. stir for about 5 minutes to keep it from sticking.
4. add penne to water and cook until al dente. add broccoli to the boiling water, just before you drain the pasta. rinse with cold water.
5. taste the mushrooms, then season with salt & pepper.
6. crush the garlic onto the mushrooms and saute until fragrant.
7. add a little wine or sake to the mushroom mixture and reduce slightly.
8. incorporate pasta & broccoli into mushroom sauce. season with shoyu.
9. top with parmesan and serve.